Saturday, January 30, 2016

Scribe Notes - Vol. 6: Delving Into Wave Echo Cave

If you haven't already done so, be sure to read the previous posts in the Scribe Notes series for the complete back story!

It was a short ride to the cave. A small hidden entrance behind a rock. Waves... crashing in the depths. Gundren's brother, Tharden, was found shortly inside. Poor dwarf had been dead at least a week. His other brother, Nundro, might still be inside. Gundren gave Ava Tharden's boots. Magical items that fit the wearer and provide extra agility.

It proved handy when a yellow slime fell from the ceiling. I wasn't as lucky. Caught most of it. The ooze started attacking once it hit the ground. Foul ichor took me by quite a surprise, bludgeoning me senseless. I tried to shrug it off but was a sticky mess. Ava made a mess of the ichor with a mighty swing. I'd have been helpless without her. The slime split and attacked us further. But Thaelin and I were able to escape. My Ray of Frost was ineffective. Ava's axe was all the beast needed in the end. Thaelin and Ava knew the creature as an Ochre Jelly. Carnivorous slimes that lurk in caves.

Came upon an interesting pool in the cave. Thaelin, much to our surprise, turned into a shark and retrieved a wand from the bottom of the pool. A wand of Magic Missile. I remember them from my schooling days. The devices contain numerous charges of the spell for demonstration purposes. Quite handy in these circumstances. Thaelin insisted I carry it.

Up the stairs and we come to a door with voices on the other side complaining of undead and mentioning someone named "Nezznar". Ava's attempt at a grand entrance was unsuccessful. Her well intended kick did not break in the door; it merely knocked our arrival to the bugbear horde inside. Trym and Ava were quick to damage the first with a flurry of blows. Thaelin halted the beast in the door and I unleashed a fan of flame on the lot. Burned them all to a crisp but still they stood. The one in back lobbed a javelin at me so hard it penetrated my magic barrier... and my shoulder. The rest of the party managed to dispatch the rest while I drank a healing potion. We barred the doors and took a short rest. The room was a barracks, barricaded from the other side. We found a curious white potion. Some kind of healing or protection energy emanates from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment