Saturday, February 6, 2016

Scribe Notes - Vol. 10: The Forge of Spells

If you haven't already done so, be sure to read the previous posts in the Scribe Notes series for the complete back story!

After a long rest we decided the best course of action was to get Nundro to safety. Three ghouls ascended from the darkness to block our path. We made short work of them and continued through to the exit. Stirges descended upon us in the grotto. They barely slowed us as we continued to move. Past another ghoul, and we finally reunited Gundren with his brother. The dwarves were eternally grateful. We bade them make hast to Phandalin while we finished clearing out the cave.

We cleared a nest of stirges east of the entry cavern, followed by a room of skeletons. They took a bit longer to clear, but they gave us little trouble overall. A storeroom across the hall gave us little information, but Trym managed to pilfer the cash box.

Ghouls seem to infest every room of this mine. Ava had taken a few scrapes but insisted on carrying on. A cave of poisonous mushrooms was around the corner. Trym insisted on harvesting some of the dangerous fungus for her poison making kit. Being so toxic, the rest of us waited at the entrance. She deftly harvested a large cap in one breath. The entire room released spores in response to the disturbance. Best to be away from this toxic miasma.

We moved further through the ruins and found a secure room for us to take a short rest. Afterward, we came upon the ghoul infested banquet hall. I opened with a barrage of fire attacks, killing half of the horde. My allies made short work of the remainder. We found ourselves once again in the forge room, with a familiar green glow emanating from around the corner. A chill ran down my spine. I remember my last encounter.

I steel myself for a battle without my spells. Trym's arrow snapped, but she had pulled a board from her bag of tricks, which bashed the abomination to the ground. The flaming skull turned its wrath upon the beast, setting it aflame with a ball of fire. It would have nearly turned us all to ash, had it not been for Ava blocking it with her shield. We beat the thing with physical damage and it succumbed quickly. Our experience has served us all well.

We moved east of the flaming skull's room, and the sound of waves became noticeably louder. The iridescent ceilings remind me of stars. A workshop was emanating a green light, and we went to investigate. Inside we found a brazier glowing with green flame. A creature made of a mass of eyes spoke in our heads. It said it existed to guard the forge of spells from undead. We tried to reason with the creature, but it insisted we leave.

One of it's eyes looked at me and filled me with terror so intense I fled the room in a most embarrassing manner. As I ran down the hall, I heard fighting break out behind me. I found myself in the banquet hall when the fear subsided. I immediately turned to check on my companions. Thaelin was roving mad in the hallways. Trym was being terrorized by the creature when Ava plunged her axe into it. Her constitution and strength continue to impress me.

I tried to detect magic in the room and was nearly blinded by the magical aura of the green brazier. This must be the "Forge of Spells".

No comments:

Post a Comment